Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall League

+2
tlc247
Lil Red
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fall League Empty Fall League

Post  Lil Red Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Hey so now that school is back in and a lot of people are back I think it's time we start to mix the games up and hold a league.

I would still like to hold a Good Vrs Evil league; however, I'd love everyone's input on how it should be ran. I don't want it to be to long or we loose people's interest so what I'm think is have three weeks with storied objective matches. After the three weeks we will pick the top four people with the highest Win-loss ratio (ties going to the person with the highest Victory Point totals). The #1 will play #4 and the #2 will play #3. then the winner from those two games will play each other for the championship. This way even if you loose all your games you still get to play 3, but those who win still only have to play 5 games (which is just over a month, last tourny went 6+ games and I was sick of it at the end).

Prizes always make it fun, so I think a small fee (maybe 5 bucks? what do y'all think?) should be had. However if you don't have the money don't worry about it, you can still play. I think 50% of the money should go to the winner (in store credit) and the other 50% can go towards a scenery piece from the store (that way paul gets a cut with everything being in store credit, as well as his store gets a new scenery piece). Once again those who are playing are free to give me their input and we can change things around depending on what everyone wants.

I'd love your input on the scenarios. Depending on how different we play will depend on if you stick with the same list or if you're allowed to change each round, if the later is the case then you'll have to check each others lists to make sure of their accuracy.

Note: There isn't going to be a line up and kill each other round in the first three rounds, 90% of all games in the store seem to be Kill point of victory points, However they're not going to based 100% on capturing points either (which is also boring), you are going to have super balanced lists to win it all. Each scenario hopefully will be something you have never seen in a tourny before.
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Fall League Empty Scenario 1 The beginning of the end

Post  Lil Red Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:06 pm

...Screams could be heard from the women. Their was no more denying the danger the families in this little town were now in. The enemy was raining from the sky in a numberless horde, how could the expect to survive? When all hope was lost the bells of the Imperium began to ring. Help was on its way but would it arrive soon enough?...

Round 1: The Beginning of the End:

The Enemy (Members of the evil Team) is attacking your home world. You and your platoon must defend the inner city until reinforcements can arrive.

The Map will be set up by the defending "good" army. no more than roughly 50% of the map can have scenery on it; however, you are free to set it up however you would like. You must however choose a 12" by 12" "box" to be your base.
The Enemy then gets to choose which table edge is their "deployment" zone, any models coming in from reserves will come in from this edge, unless outflanking or DSing, these will arrive as usual (therefore if you picked a short edge as your Deployment zone OFing units would come in from the left and right long edges).

Each team can choose to keep anything or everything in reserves. Defending models not arriving by DS must enter from within their base, no Outflanking, however they may move shoot and assault the turn they arrive, and If they do not move and arrive with in the base they can still fire a heavy weapon.

Attacking army's Infantry, Jump Infantry, jetbikes and MC's, as well as anything with the DS rule can all DS if you want them to, however they may not DS into the base (however they can scatter into the base as long as they don't land on an enemy model). Models that have the DS special rule can also assault the turn that they arrive. If a model has a special ability that

Both Teams get 1500 points.
Defender must have 1 HQ and 2 Troop choices
They may also have, in addition to the 1 HQ and 2 Troops, 2 HQ (total of 3) 6 troops (total of 8 eight ) 3 Elite 3 Fast and 6 Heavy supports

Attacker must have 1 HQ.
They may also have 2 more HQ's 6 troops, 6 elites, 6 fast attackers, 3 heavy support.

There are 3 objectives that the defender can place anywhere on the board, each are worth 3 points. Any model except empty transports can hold an objective (walkers, battle tanks ect.. care all free game, just not an empty dedicated transport).

You also get 1 VP for every 100 killpoints you earn Smile

This seems like a lot but really it's just a simplified Planetstrike game. No bastions, no orbital bombardments, no stratagems.

Keep track of not only who won but how many victory points were won.

TIPS advice and suggestions are all welcome Smile
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Fall League Empty Re: Fall League

Post  tlc247 Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:28 pm

I like it... should make for an interesting first round, but I suggest one or two matches be played beforehand in order to flush those problems out of cover and into the open where we can mow them down with bolter/lasgun/deathspitter/slugga/gauss rifle/pulse carbine fire. Smile

A while back, GW released a new scenario that sounded like a lot of fun to me. It involved a force field running down the middle of the board, with an objective on either side.

While I'm all for a game where any unit can claim the objective, I also like the idea of Troops Only objectives. This makes your Compulsory troops not only mandatory, but actually important. There are also certain units and characters with special rules for claiming, and ignoring the normal claiming rules makes some units more powerful, while reducing the value of other units. Death Company and Pedro Kantor come to mind, based on the lists I'm familiar with. As I mentioned, I'd love to play a game where anyone can claim. Yes, please! I just don't think it's a good idea to run that variation too often, and would encourage avoiding it in later games.

I've had a thought regarding a tournament/league where units could be modified between games. Here's the idea I've come up with:

The basic makeup of your army can NOT be changed. Whatever units you choose must be played in all games, with small considerations made for specific units. For example, trading a Terminator squad for a Terminator Assault squad seems reasonable to me. Exchanging them for Sternguard Veterans is pushing it, and I'd say no. Vanguard Veterans changes their Force Organization, so I'd definitely say no. By default, the answer is no, so even the Terminator example is pushing it, but it's one I would be more willing to consider. Another possible consideration is removing the jump packs from an Assault Squad and giving them a transport. I have to offer Marine examples, since they are what I'm most familiar with. :/

Unit size can be changed by 25%, rounded down. This means that you can change the size of a unit by up to the minimum amount needed to pass 25%. A 3-man Obliterator Squad could be increased to 4, or a War Walker Squadron of 3 could be reduced to 2. A 10-man Tactical Squad could be reduced to 7, but not 6. If you get the math, I don't need to explain more.

Options and upgrades CAN be changed. Your Devastator Squad can take one set of weapons to one match, and a different set of weapons to the next match. The weapon options on your vehicles can be changed, including removing or adding sponsons. Your tactical squad can trade out its Missile Launcher for a Multi-melta, and it's Flamer for a Melta Gun, but...

Most importantly, the points value of your army MUST remain within the value set for the tournament. In Chris's league posted here, you are still limited to 1,500 points, so if you upgrade something in one place, you'll need to make up for it somewhere else.

Personally, I like the idea that your army can make changes to their armament based on who they are fighting, and this seems like a reasonable way to allow us to switch things up while still holding on to the base idea of a league or tournament. The first thing I would consider removing from the list I gave is the option to change unit sizes. Anyway, let me know what you think, or if you have any questions or see some potential abuse I'm not aware of.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:35 pm

Just a quick thought on the Planetstrike game mentioned above, we'd either want to maintain the attacker/defender scenario in future games, or we'd have to allow people to write up a new army list every round. In order to be fair, we'd need to have people join the league and declare their army, then randomly draw lots to see whether you'd be attacker or defender. That would also limit who you play, since defenders wouldn't be playing against other defenders.

I'm definitely interested in doing something like that, but we need to make a couple solid decisions before deciding on a first round scenario. Personally, I like the idea of a Planetstrike-themed tournament/league. Very Happy
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:11 pm

All three scenarios will be known before the League, and I will try and play test them at least once to work out any bugs.

Planet Strike Rules will only be used once in the League and you will be allowed to build a different list for each stage with no restrictions, and you will know who you are playing before you build your list. Only in round one will you be able to score with all of your units.

After the first three "themed" games the top four will then have to build a single list for the next two games with no modifications allowed between the two games.

The purpose of this league is to give everyone a lot of opportunities to try out different units and scenarios against people and armies you don't always play against. For those looking to take home the championship it will test how well you can build different lists for each scenario, some of which will compliment your play style and some of which will contradict with you play style.

All though you can re-build your list for each scenario, you will have to use the same codex. Smile
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Holy long comments lol I'll wait till someone explains it instead

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:15 am

to sum it up

Attacker and defender have the same force organization as PS. Defender sets up the map, attacker goes first, everything except some vehicles can DS for the attacker, units with the DS ability and that DS can assault off the DS. Defender sets up 3 points that are all worth three victory points. For every gap off 100 kill points that you beat your opponent by you get 1 victory point. Any model except empty Dedicated transports can capture a point However there is no contesting points, if there is an attacking unit within 3" they get the three points, if not the defender gets the three points IF they have any unit within 3" (no one by a point for either side means no one gets the VP for the strategic point, yes it is easier for the attacker to capture the points, but the defender gets to set up the map and place the points so get over it).

Last edited by Lil Red on Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:27 am

Hambone wrote:Holy long comments lol I'll wait till someone explains it instead

Silly Marshall... the long comments WERE the explanation. Very Happy
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:18 am

In person!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:28 am

yeah i gave up half way marsh Sad
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:55 am

Lil Red wrote:to sum it up

Attacker and defender have the same force organization as PS. Defender sets up the map, attacker goes first, everything except some vehicles can DS for the attacker, units with the DS ability and that DS can assault off the DS. Defender sets up 3 points that are all worth three victory points. For every gap off 100 kill points that you beat your opponent by you get 1 victory point. Any model except empty Dedicated transports can capture a point However there is no contesting points, if there is an attacking unit within 3" they get the three points, if not the defender gets the three points IF they have any unit within 3" (no one by a point for either side means no one gets the VP for the strategic point, yes it is easier for the attacker to capture the points, but the defender gets to set up the map and place the points so get over it).

Hey I agree it was long, but I didn't want there to be a misunderstanding, here is the "for dummies" version Smile
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:21 pm

they'll wait to ask for the rules via text ten minutes before we start haha-

i actually really like both the scenario and the idea of one list that can switch options. then you get more attached to your units that fight a campaign time after time. its more narrative, more of a story (though chris is right, trying new units is always fun.)

my two cents:

we should include short battles and scenarios, whose outcome determine the next scenario. i can help write them, i got some ideas. also, a fun finale would be something i've been wanting to do: multiple table kill teams with all the survivors!

example: boarding parties fighting through each others ships, kinda like what kennan said. two people play on one table, two on the others. you keep track of objectives through turns. (like, if the guy on table one disables the security fields on turn two, his ally on table two thats fighting on a different level of the ship, can pass throught the restricted areas on his turn two.)

doing this in kill teams not only garauntees a quick finish, but also encourages the whole "last ones" narrative, where these are your surviviors from your campaign.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:13 pm

Death? Pillaging? PhAt LeWtZ? children SCREAMING!?! sounds like a good day for Bakari and his forces Very Happy
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:27 pm

PHAT LEWTZ!!!! hahaha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:12 pm

Wait a minute? Are Eldar conisdered Good or Evil? They would gladly kill 100000000 babies to save their own? What about nids who are just hungry? Orks who don't know any better (or math for that matter). Inquisition? They kill entire planets for just seeing a Daemon.. An idea (a pretty bad one at that) is that the universe is too morally grey for straight up good v. evil. We could even divide it into two teams and make it more of a joint effort. There is still winners for prize sake.. But the side with the most combined kill points gets bragging rights? I dunno good v. evil just sounds too generic to me. Except Chaos, Necrons, Daemons and Dark Eldar. They are all evil as hell.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:50 pm

i agree with marshall, though there are shades of gray: nids wouldn't side with anyone, fluff wise. orks would, and inquisition can really be either purtanical or straight up crazy bad.

why don't we create story, or a planet (RYZA!!!!) and say whats on it. ( landing pad, forge center, etc. and everyone will create their armies. then people recieve thier objective (hold the forge, destroy this or that etc.) and then everyone can choose the side their on?

this way anyone can be on any side, and we make up a story for our armies, and why we're goign for what objective? kinda like a campaign. we can use chris' planet strike thing, and tyler's same list, different options thng. Yeah?

we'll need a sort of GM though...

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:25 pm

If you're looking for "Good" and "Evil" definitions, I'd consider the following:

Would that race ever consider accepting a surrender, or would they kill/enslave the other race regardless of circumstances?

Why do they do what they do?

An argument could be made that Inquisition would never accept a surrender, or that in Ghaz's fluff he captured and released Commisar Yarrick, but rather than get offended at receiving one label or another, why not argue about something else instead? Which came first, the chicken or the egg? Which color of Froot Loops tastes the best?

If you don't like "Good" and "Evil", perhaps "Dark" and "Light" work better.

Light:
All Imperium Forces
Eldar
Tau

Dark:
All Chaos Forces
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Orks
Tyranids

This isn't an attempt to hurt anyone's feelings, so don't take it personally. Some forces are fighting for survival, and in the case of the Tau, for the "Greater Good". Also, Tau not only accept surrender, they try to negotiate with other races and convince them to join their cause. Yes, I see the similarity to Chaos, but Tau's "cause" isn't just a matter of KILL EVERYTHING!!!! Razz Other forces are fighting to conquer (not even to expand, just to conquer), to steal, to destroy, or just to fight. The tyranids don't expand onto the worlds they encounter, they simply destroy, consume, and move on.

There are DEFINITELY armies that could be placed on either side of the battle, and if we chose to do a league like this, we could use those armies to balance the sides. But on a general note, if you're trying to split the armies equally into "Light" and "Dark" forces, this is the list that seems most plausible to me.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:30 am

TOUCHE!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 am

yep, that's the basic list. and a good way to put it. fighting for survival vs fighting to fight.

but then, there is always traitor guard, chapters, and renegade tau etc. so if we do what we were saying, i think anyone could be on any team, they just need to come up with the fluff for whats going on.

zack and i were talking: one of us should start writing a fluffy story, here on the forums. just enough to set the back drop. when the story comes to a battle, those wanting to participate can post what their forces will do.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:43 am

Traitor Guard, including a "Genestealer Cult" could easily place them on the side of dark, as could Eldar pirates or even just some obscure plot to try and save a Craftworld from destruction at the hands of someone on the Light side several years into the future. It would be more difficult to justify a Dark army working with the Light forces, but I believe it could be done fluff-wise, as long as people weren't too pissy about it. Eldar Harlequins could have arranged a temporary truce with the Dark Eldar for some higher purpose that both races of Eldar feel equally strong about. The planet that the Tyranids are trying to consume could be held entirely by forces of Darkness and the Eldar and Imperium are using the Tyranids to destroy the forces of dark before they unleash some global virus designed specifically to kill Tyranids. Chaos Marines may have been blessed by the Chaos Gods, but are still torn and trying to fight for their salvation. Chaos Daemons could be fighting for the side of Light as part of an Inquisitor Lord's Daemonhost, or in an attempt to tempt and deceive the forces of Light into turning to Chaos. Orks could be fighting the Dark side because they don't feel the Light side would give them a good enough fight. The justification for forces of Light to fight on the Dark side are equally possible.

I'd suggest using the above list to split up the people who are going to participate, and if there is a discrepancy in the numbers, ask for a volunteer to switch sides and provide appropriate fluff for why they are fighting on the other side. If we have more people wanting to switch sides than we need, it could be decided by a fluff contest. Each person wanting to switch would write up a reason for why they are fighting on the other side, preferrably in "fluff", and we could put it to a vote for who has the best reason/story.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Chiefman269 Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:50 pm

i think its funny how people want to debate if there army is good or evil. i enjoy a debate for fun sure, but i'll say it; chaos is evil as hell!! so is nids! what the F@#k organism develops to the top of its home planets food chain and just continues on some eating frenzy. Sure they aren't totally sentient in the knowledge of good vs bad, but on a level of ethical science you don't get any worse than Xenocide. that equalls EVIL!! In summary conclusion the only one i could ethically or philosophically conclude can even be argued as good or bad is orcs. So if you have it in your head you want to play nids, but you also would love space wolfs as a teamate; realize it just ain't gonna happen.

Chiefman269

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:52 pm

exactly: i really dont see nids teaming with anyone. a g cult yes, but nids no. even orks can team for a while.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:49 pm

I could see nids teaming up with Imperial Guard, but ONLY if you use the fluff idea of the guard being a Genestealer Cult. And that is pushing it... when the nids show up, they tend to just eat the cult and bring the stealers back into the fold.

Personally, I still think the Genestealer Cult army should be brought back. It was a kewl army with interesting fluff and some interesting psykers. Genestealer Magus would be fun to see again. I suppose you could put together an Imperial Guard list and run it as a cult, but still... not the same. Sad
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:12 pm

tlc247 wrote:

Light:
All Imperium Forces
Eldar
Tau

Dark:
All Chaos Forces
Dark Eldar
Necrons
Orks
Tyranids

The only thing I disagree with on this is the Orks. No I don't think they are a good team but I think they are truly neutral. They will fight for anyone for any cause if you pay them with teeth. When they aren't getting paid what I have read says they only fight because they love to fight. Really they don't seem to have much motivation behind taking out a company of Imperial Guard other than it looks like a challenge they would like to try.

Of course that's from just what I have read which isn't a lot.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:21 pm

I think I could come up with fluff for really ANY army to team up with, I even have an idea for nids that seems possible with a little work.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum