Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PSykers and mulitple powers

5 posters

Go down

what do you think?

PSykers and mulitple powers I_vote_lcap71%PSykers and mulitple powers I_vote_rcap 71% 
[ 5 ]
PSykers and mulitple powers I_vote_lcap29%PSykers and mulitple powers I_vote_rcap 29% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 7

Poll closed

PSykers and mulitple powers Empty PSykers and mulitple powers

Post  Guest Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:39 pm

can a psyker with the ability to cast more than one power a turn use one of these powers to try and cast a power he failed to cast before?

IE: tzeetch psyker has two abilities: doom bolt and warp time. he attempts warp time but is dispelled. he can cast one more power that turn. Can he choose to attempt warptime again, hoping to get into assault? or does he have to cast doombolt with his last power? (does warptime count as being used, though it didn't go off? cause you can only USE any certain power once a turn)

NOTE: see "that's not effective" forum thread for arguments in case this isn't enough.

Back to top Go down

PSykers and mulitple powers Empty Re: PSykers and mulitple powers

Post  alex clements Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:21 am

im going right out and saying it. NO he just freaking failed it. he can use other powers but not the same one. i mean i truely have no characters that benifit from it either way. but it does make sense that he can use another power but not the same one.
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:06 am

Some one whose armies both use a lot of psykers and mess up a lot of psykers i say yes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:28 pm

Arhiman an his body guard jumped out of the rhino to see a squad of tac marines coming in fast. He ordered his thousand sons to open fire while he called upon the warp. A dark image of a shrieking changling flashed in his head, knocking him back. His head was throbbing and an ear bleeding, but he qauickly got back up, he MUST not allow them in close combat. Once again he called on the warp and suddenly dark fire appeared in his hands, he began slinging it at the enemy downing 3 before he had to summon more fire, downing the last one. He looked around, and marched over the charred bodies to his next victim...

One thing that helps me is imagining the warriors actually trying to do it in battle. If it seems possible it GENERALLY is true to the rules. I see ABSOLUTELY NO REASON why a psyker could not try to use the same power after he failed it once already
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:41 pm

Need to correct my wording once more. ONLY if he has the abilty to use multiple powers. THEN he may try to use his SECOND power to recast the first.
Think of it this way. A psyker has a certain amount of slots (how manypowers he can cast a turn) and then only a certain amout of ACTUAL powers (the abilities you paid points for)
Now you can do this with any psyker but I'm best at chaos so.
A slaanesh psyker with lash of submition.
He has one slot
He attempts lash of submition and FAILS...he has used his slot by trying to cast PASS OR FAIL
He has filled his one and only slot HE IS DONE WITH PSYCHIC POWERS!

A tzeentch sorcer has 2 slots and the powers warptime, and winds of chaos
He attempts winds of chaos and fails. He has used slot #1.
He may either choos warptime or winds of chaos again. He knows if he can use winds of chaos he most likely wipe the squad in front of him and not need warptime.
He attempts warptime again and passes. Slot #2 is used HE IS DONE WITH PSYCHIC POWERS FOR THE TURN!!!

There should be no reason why he can't retry a power he failed if he has a slot left. I don't understand the other side of the arguement so if someone can please summerize it all here I can't get what it is from "that's not effective" thread or I am pretty much SET in how I think about this.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 pm

In summary, here's the other side of the argument:

We are assuming that you can only use a particular psychic power once per turn (certain characters have rules allowing them to cast the same power multiple times... this is for the rest of the psykers).

If you attempt to use a psychic power and fail, due to a failed psychic check or having been dispelled, you have OBVIOUSLY "used" one of your psychic powers for the turn. My feeling is that you didn't just use a slot, you used a particular power. You didn't succeed, but whether or not you succeed doesn't matter for how many times you can use psychic powers in a turn, so why should it matter for how many times you can use a particular power in a turn? You didn't just try to use a psychic power, you tried to use a specific psychic power, and I believe that should be taken into account.

*resists urge to continue*

I am, of course, willing to discuss this further with people, but I don't want to clog this particular thread. For those of you who are wondering, the next big forum argument is going to be about which Froot Loop color tastes the best, so get ready to defend your choice in that argument. We want to finish the polling on this one first, though. Very Happy
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm

tlc247 wrote:In summary, here's the other side of the argument:

We are assuming that you can only use a particular psychic power once per turn (certain characters have rules allowing them to cast the same power multiple times... this is for the rest of the psykers).

Who?? Whose this Psyker that says they can cast the same power over and over?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Eldrad can use the same power twice Smile
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Hurray

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Judging from posts here, and on other forums, Ahriman can also cast the same power multiple times. He simply can't cast the same psychic shooting attack more than once a turn.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Rubberbullets Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:13 pm

correction any psyker can only cast one shooting psychic power per shooting phase. so the real question is if it is failed is he able to choose another one to cast if he failed the first one?
Mr.Rubberbullets
Mr.Rubberbullets

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:22 pm

i'd say yes. as long as the powers effects aren't realized, you can try again

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:53 pm

This is the one I'm very much against. the others I'm kinda of meh on but not shooting attacks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:17 pm

it's be the same priciple, but to be honest, i don't really care. rule is, you can fire one thing. if that's a spell great. but only one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum