Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

cheap forces that are effective!

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

cheap forces that are effective! Empty cheap forces that are effective!

Post  alex clements Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:00 am

yeah the warboss with a full 30 squad of boys is freaking awsome! but you have to get them in close combat and fast or you lose the momentum. like in a match 2 vs 2 me and tyler vs marshall and zack i had like 5 boys and a warboss and i got the charge and dealt some serious damage because of all the attacks. it was awsome! im starting to learn that if i put my koptas and buggies and stuff like that people see them as a threat so i am able to have them take damage and then out flank them with boyz, nobz, and my tanks and stuff. but yeah you get something like that i mean here is a nice effective combo.
a warboss-power klaw-cybork body-eavy armour- 105 points
ork boyz- x30 - ard boys -nob - power klaw - bosspole - 340 points

that 440points and you can buy like a truk or something like for a 500 point match or freak split them up and buy another warboss and go and waste but thats just something i find effective. or if your going to a higher match buy some buggies and koptas and flank them on one side and go in on another. but something that cheap and effective.

what do you find effective for your armies
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

cheap forces that are effective! Empty Re: cheap forces that are effective!

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:03 am

maximize size. no use buying all the upgrades. running what works for as cost effective as possible is great. don't get into a rut of only running the same things over and over. test out your wargear and familiarize yourself with new styles of play.
even with all that its easier said then done.. i do a lot of the same stuff :/

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:20 am

As much as I've enjoyed running Death Company and Reclusiarch Falkener, the simple truth is that they are EXTREMELY expensive, and rarely make their points back.

Dreadnought Rokana has only been destroyed in one match, and he has been consistently dangerous. There may be one match that where he didn't make his points, but he's more than made his points (135) in every other match. Rokana is my "Devastator" dreadnought, btw. Equipped with shooting weapons on both arms, and fielded with other units to keep him from being shot at too much.

The Land Speeder at 70 points is potentially a great choice, but I don't usually get much use out of it. I don't remember the last time I made my flat-out cover save on it. Sad

The real question isn't always how good it can kill. Sometimes, what it can do for other squads is more important. 100 points for a 5-man Scout Squad with a Locator Beacon, allowing me to Deep Strike my forces nearby without scattering, but its only useful if you have the right army list to back it up.

My test run of the Whirlwind had it scatter every shot and kill more allies than foes. But it's also 90 points, and it doesn't take a whole lot to make up that kind of point investment, especially in a bigger match.

An Eldar Guardian Squad is only 8 points a model. With a Warlock in the squad and a Farseer backing them up, they can be a very dangerous unit for their points cost.

Drop Pods cost 35 points and are a good way to drop a squad or dreadnought onto your opponent's face. Add a Deathwind Launcher for 10 points, and you can force them to either waste time shooting at it, or be annoyed by it for rounds to come.

In most armies, I believe the Dedicated Transports are worth their points, and in many armies, they are extremely inexpensive. They might not kill much, but the protection they offer the troops inside is huge.

That's what comes to mind from my list.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:11 am

my newest favorite scarey yet cheap thing...summoned greater daemon. Basically daemon prince stats, 100 points, hard to kill, enough attacks to do some real damage, and is a wicked curveball that can easily create some major leverage. Forces the opponent to change major priorities. Sometimes a huge suprize that is really unexpected. One more thing, it takes no forced organization, but in all other sences is treated as an HQ, shizz!!
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:42 am

droppod with deathwind is 55 btw

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:40 am

Zac Nelsen wrote:my newest favorite scarey yet cheap thing...summoned greater daemon. Basically daemon prince stats, 100 points, hard to kill, enough attacks to do some real damage, and is a wicked curveball that can easily create some major leverage. Forces the opponent to change major priorities. Sometimes a huge suprize that is really unexpected. One more thing, it takes no forced organization, but in all other sences is treated as an HQ, shizz!!

A good choice but watch out for annihilate scenarios

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:34 am

In my opinion war boss is best run with the nob squad in a battle wagon. Gotta keep the unit cheap though or your throwing a whole lot into a small fraction your army, i suggest 2 power claws, eavy armour, and a painboy if ya can fit it in. Its a pretty expensive squad, with the BW. But you don't have to run a full squad of ten keep in mind Smile
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:50 pm

'Uge choppa! give the claw to the nob so they can still bust tanks, and give your warboss a choppa! S8 at his REGULAR INITIATIVE on the charge! this means he doesn't have to wait to go last. you can instant kill a t4 hero instantly! yeah they dont ignore armor, but if they fail just one, their gone!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:04 pm

Agreed Uge Choppa!! Weird Boys are sweet but a psyker with no invuln is asking for trouble!! Big Mek!! Very Happy they're hawt.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:36 pm

Gargoyles: 6 pts wings and if you roll a 6 to hit you auto wound. Oh and they have an assault weapon and can be in a squad of 10 - 30.
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:17 pm

why do you not own them?!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Ask Zac and Scott about that one time we played a 800 point match and I played about 60 sisters with 2 canonness'. It was pretty awesome.

Also everyone in this thread now look out for Alex's new strategy! haha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:26 am

it was me and scott!! remember? I played Boris the Bullet Dodger?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:26 pm

hahaha i remember that- good game, i thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:24 pm

No the game i am talking about was different it was between me Scott and Zac. Zac played Fabulous Bile and some Popkhorne Berzerkers and Scott was playing some assault marines so I played 60 sisters and 2 canonness'.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:10 pm

Oh yeah! That was when CJ and I were playing Small World Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:33 pm

i dont remember that...
what happened?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:03 am

Hambone wrote:why do you not own them?!
I don't own them because they are 30 bucks a box and you need 20-30 (so 60-90 bucks) of them to make them worth it.
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:43 am

Lil Red wrote:
Hambone wrote:why do you not own them?!
I don't own them because they are 30 bucks a box and you need 20-30 (so 60-90 bucks) of them to make them worth it.

I fail to see the problem here...

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:59 am

I only 30 bucks right now Sad
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Hambone wrote:maximize size. no use buying all the upgrades. running what works for as cost effective as possible is great. don't get into a rut of only running the same things over and over. test out your wargear and familiarize yourself with new styles of play.
even with all that its easier said then done.. i do a lot of the same stuff :/

I learned how important it is to not overspend on a unit when playing guard. A base Leman Russ is 150 points, 160 with a lascannon. Sponsons range from 20 - 40 points but you don't have to have sponsons if you don't want to. A Leman can move and shot its turret and one other gun, this means if you move your sponsons just became decorations. After dropping the sponsons in that list I was able to bring 3 Chimeras, all of which have multi lasers and HB or HFs. The protection from the transports was worth a lot more to me than a couple of extra shots from a stationary tank with rear 10/11 armor.

I think the best way to take a list from "eh, It's ok" to Tourny winner is to strip down your squads and keep them doing a specific role, then use your remaining points to get more stuff on the table Smile
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:39 pm

This all comes back to the fact that you were making a squad that's about 500 points.. Not saying its not good, but in my experience that is like 1/3 of your army in a 1,500 point match and they'll hardly make their points back. Try it out!! For sure, but if it doesn't work i suggest toning it down.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Hambone wrote:This all comes back to the fact that you were making a squad that's about 500 points.. Not saying its not good, but in my experience that is like 1/3 of your army in a 1,500 point match and they'll hardly make their points back. Try it out!! For sure, but if it doesn't work i suggest toning it down.

This is exactly the problem I'm seeing more and more with my Death Company. They are brutal, but they are so expensive that they rarely make their points back.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

yep- bare minimum, then use the savings to get more on the table. i'd have to agree

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 pm

I am VERY used to playing EXPENSIVE squads as chaos. Its hard to keep myself from overspending to keep them protected (powerfist for dread attacks, beefed champion and such) but take it from me it never ends up being worth it Sad I've experienced a nice 5 man squad of tsons with rhasputin and winds of chaos is plenty enough to kill enough of a squad off to make it run, render it useless, or even wipe it out. The trick is to protect them until you can position them so they won't get enough cover a few noise marines, a doom siren, maybe a blastmaster and 15 points worth of sonic blasters will be a cheap way to hugely damage a squad with rapid fire amounts of damage, and a heavy flamer with no 3+ saves then finish them off with 3 initiative 5 attacks on the charge from each of them. Again, getting them up without being destroyed is even trickier with these guys, but so worth it if done right. Plus having a very cheap, toughness 5 15-20 man squad is a great distraction for the scarey stuff. To me that seems to be what chaos is all about.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next