Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best Troops

5 posters

Go down

The best Troops Empty The best Troops

Post  Lil Red Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:03 pm

I've spent a lot of time recently reading codexes and I've noticed some armies have a lot better options for troops than others.

In your opinion what are some of the best troop choices?

Personally I'd say Chaos marines have the best selection of troop choices. They can have basic marines or they can beef them up however the see fit. They also have specialized units that in most codexes would be elite choices. Summoned lesser daemons are also considered a troop choice.

For nids the best troop choice hands down is the Tervigon. T6 6 wound MC that spawns more free gaunts.

I think Vanilla marines kinda got screwed when it comes to troop choices. They have tac marines and scouts... Bikes if you bring a captain (or something).

Please continue on why you think troop X is awesome or not so awesome. To me Troops are the most important aspect of your list as they are the heart of an army and the only units that can score.

Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

The best Troops Empty Re: The best Troops

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:05 am

i like scouts cause they give you tactical options for your army. they can do lots of stuff!

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:19 am

Sorry for the wall o' text. Blame it on my being tired and getting into a ramble. :/

Like most units, the effectiveness of a Troops choice is highly dependent on the player using it correctly and effectively. I still remember reading the comments from a tournament winner who used an Ork bike army. At least one of his matches (the championship match, if I remember correctly) was won on the last turn by... his Gretchin mob which he almost didn't take. They had been such an insignificant part of his army that his opponent had more or less ignored them, and so had he. Until the last turn when they managed to run in and seize an objective, winning the match for him. Lots of Orks and Nobs on bikes were MUCH more dangerous than the grots, but he was able to keep them out of sight/range, and while they probably didn't kill much (if anything), they still won the game for him.

My point is, stats aside, the player behind the Troops choice is much more important than the actual Troops choice. Used correctly, most units in the book are worth their points cost and more. Used incorrectly, none of them are. For example, my dreadnought Rokana ("devastator" Dreadnought with twin-linked Autocannons on both arms) made his Red Thirst roll, getting Furious Charge. I could have done my best to get him into close combat to take advantage of this. An IG foot soldier could also try to hit on Lady Gaga. Failure would be the end result in both cases, though. By ignoring the relatively worthless bonus and focusing on what I brought him along for, I made more than double his points back in things he killed/destroyed. The same is true for Troops choices. Focus on your specialty.

First of all, you're right on the money with what you've mentioned. Chaos have some obnoxious options for troops, and imo, many of their Troops choices should have been Elites. Oh well, it doesn't make them an unstoppable army by ANY means. The Tervigon is also an obnoxious Troops choice, but in a lot of ways, it just takes the place of the vehicles that the Tyranid army is otherwise lacking. I would definitely consider putting it on any OP list, but the "double" rule on its gaunt spawning makes it a wild card. I can also think of several things in the BA codex that could ruin its day with reasonably average dice rolling. Sternguard (Hellfire Rounds) and a Librarian Dreadnought are the first to come to mind.

The Death Company and Death Company Dreadnought are some pretty obnoxious Troops options, but I feel they are balanced out by numerous things. The Rage rule, being unable to claim objectives, high points costs, and restrictions on what you can and can't take all come to mind (0-1 Death Company, and needing at least 5 Death Company members per dreadnought). The more I've considered it, the less the Death Company are worth their points. Being in the Troops section makes them more available, but not really more powerful, especially in the bigger matches. In smaller matches, the Rage rule becomes less of an issue, and being a Troops choice means you can still field them.

In the past, Eldar Rangers and Pathfinders were extremely nasty Troops choices. They have lost a lot of their punch now, but I believe they could still be extremely effective. Remembering all their rules and making the most of them all is the biggest issue. They also require effective support, much like my "Devastator" dreadnought. A single flamer could ruin an entire squad, but played correctly, they make Space Marine Scouts look absolutely pathetic. The more I think about it, the more effective I think they could be, but they MUST be fielded as part of a force. Like all Eldar, they have a very specific role, and they perform it best when the rest of the force is performing their roles as well.

It seems to me that some of the best Troops choices are the choices that become "Troops" in certain situations. The Bike squadrons you mention from the SM codex, Wraithguard from the Eldar, numerous options from the Ork codex if you take the right HQ choice, Sanguinary Guard if you take Dante. I'm sure other armies have similar options to turn Elites into Troops. Pedro Kantor doesn't turn Sternguard into Troops, but he does make them scoring units.

One last thing I have to mention, even though I don't know much beyond the basics:

Tyranid Warriors.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

The best Troops Empty Wolf in Sheeps Clothing

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 am

Grey Hunters. They are troops, same cost as Tactical Marines, sure they don't have the massive 4 attacks on the charge of blood claws or the ability to take heavy weapons and combat squad but they do have..

Dedicated Transports: Razorback, Rhino or DP. Awesome.

Special Weapons: They can get up to 2 (if in a squad of ten) special weapons... Flamer is Free! Plasma Gun 10pts, Melta Gun 5pts. Oh yeah and if you are ten models and have a single special gun you can take any second one free!! Also they have choice of power fist (25) or power weapon (15), plasma pistol (15).

The chance to get a Wolf Guard Leader: The fact that wolf guards can get almost any gear makes this invaluable for specializing units. (i never do it lol!)

Both Bolters and Bolt Pistol/CC Weapon: Oh baby it is so useful.

Counter Charge: When my wolves Counter make sure the unit has Initiative on me. 3 attacks a person is nothing to sneeze at.

Wolf Standard 10pts: Once per game in close Combat i can re roll ALL 1's. Hits. Wounds. Saves. Essentially making only 2's fail on their armor. A 1/6 chance to die.. Sounds like instant termi armor.

Mark of the Wulfen 15pts: thought it is expensive, one model gets his attacks changed to d6+1 (then +1 more for counter charge) to ignore all other weapon bonuses. Oh yeah, his attacks are rending.. Although it hardly works out that way. I'll get 8 attacks and miss all >.<

Also this is @ Tyler. My last Pathfinder Squad killed me a daemon prince and 3 termis. Awesome.

ONE MORE THING!! Although tac marines might seem lame the fact that they can trade out Combat squad for so many different rules (depending on your hq) makes them extremely flexible. I wouldn't be surprised if some vanilla marine player plays an obscure list and would rock us by catching us off guard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:02 pm

with the ork codex, one of the things i love the most is that i have so many options as far as troop choice all depending on the HQ that i buy. choppa boys, nobz, meganobz, warbikers, deffdreds, gretchin, think thats all of my options. All the options are great but it may be best to stick with plain ol choppa boys imo.
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:55 pm

Awesome to hear, Marshall. They are pricey at 24 points a model, but like I said, properly used they can be one of the deadliest Troops choices available, and VERY hard to kill. 2+ cover save does a lot to make up for the low Toughness.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:29 pm

Kyle!! I agree. Ork troops rival that of chaos!! not a threatening rivalry but like the second highest grade in the class.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 pm

haha second highest grade...haha

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:01 pm

My favorite troop combo recently. Small squad of thousand sons, rhasputin leading with a personal icon and secretly backed by summoned lesser daemons to assult off the deep strike, defending the squad in melee. Obviously chaos has probably the best troop choices. Something for everything and everyone. The problem is point cost. You need to find a balance, overspending is so easy. The price of failure is doubled with the 23 points a model guys, you gotta protect them and play them correctly or its a completely devastating loss. Every special troop has its weakness, and if you let that get exploited it is A LOT to lose even just 5 guys can be a devastating loss, and a decisive factor. I think this is one of the reasons people love khorn berserkers so much, the cheapest of the elite troops chaos has to offer, and pretty much the most basic to run. So even the amazing troops that I agree should *probably* be elite choices, have a major flaw, making them just fine where they are now.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:48 am

Yes to everything Zac said! You own lesser daemons.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:06 am

Hambone wrote:Kyle!! I agree. Ork troops rival that of chaos!! not a threatening rivalry but like the second highest grade in the class.

2nd hmmmm i don't know if i like the way you put that marsh ol buddy
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:52 pm

Hahaha you know that chaos is all about the troops. Its what they do. Are you saying Orks do it better??? Cause if so then why even play Chaos?!?!

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:26 pm

thats exactly what im saying why play chaos if you can't win?
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:43 am

hahahaha might as well just toss em!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:37 pm

Anyone wanna buy a large force of chaos for 50$ ? id like to think they are well painted. it comes with cool fluff also. i cant win with them. in fact ill drop price for 30$ ill use the money to start my own blood angels force. the new codex makes them cheesey so i wanna hop that oppertunity...
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  alex clements Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:43 pm

30 dollars is pushing it man. and pretty decent size, fullly painted chaos army for 30. dude its pushing it. bring it to 10 and ill take it.
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 am

eh, you should probably just melt that shit and make something worthwhile zac, cause i wouldn't pay shit for a chaos army, since they can't win.
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:54 am

I'm putting up the Dark Eldar Warriors. Capable of carrying 2 Dark Lances or 2 Splinter Cannons or being 20 strong. Eight points each with BS 4 and I5 they can be made to do almost anything, including being decent at CC(though there are so much better choices in the book).

Can also be mounted in a Raider- on of the best troop transports.

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:38 am

I don't know of any other troop choice that can get TWO LANCES is a squad. I forgot about them they are sweet. Although I like wyches better, you just gotta make em a troop with that lady.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum