Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

painting tips and such

3 posters

Go down

painting tips and such Empty painting tips and such

Post  Zac Nelsen Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:29 am

So, a lot of us just got back from the painting seminar. I was really impressed by a lot of the stuff I saw people doing. I thought it would be a really good idea for everyone to post things they learned and extra tips that have helped them, or even ask questions on how to do certain types of things (power armor, daemon skin, beast fur, stuff like that) one thing I learned today is not to stress about neatness and how it looks at the very start, if you mess up a bit, its ok because you were just going to paint over it anyway. What are some things you guys got from it?
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

painting tips and such Empty Re: painting tips and such

Post  Guest Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:44 am

For yellow to be bright it takes several coats trading off between white and yellow, shading it smaller and smaller as you go. First thing i ever learned from Paul.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:31 am

For yellow to be bright, it really needs to be painted on top of white. If your model is primed/basecoated in black, you need to pick out the yellow parts in white, or be happy with a dull-looking yellow.

I realized I picked a bad choice for what Paul was wanting to teach. My unit, and the way I want to have it painted, is more about picking out details. Paul's class will teach you more if you don't have to pick out a dozen different armor pieces on each model. And not like the stripes on Zac's Thousand Sons' helmets, either. I'm also painting up from a black basecoat, which can make the "wash" technique obsolete. I'll stop here before I waste a lot of time talking about what I'm trying to do and what does and doesn't work. I might post about it later, but I'm running out of time and oh yeah! Nobody really cares, anyway. Wink
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:33 am

I looked at the thousand sons this morning, they look like a squad of captain americas...
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Zomg! i love Captain America!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:46 am

tlc247 wrote: I'm also painting up from a black basecoat, which can make the "wash" technique obsolete.

I undercoat everything in black, and still find inks useful at every stage. they blend highlights, shade, change tone, and cover mistakes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:54 am

Scott has also shown me the light of using inks. Watered down paints don't work nearly as well FYI, drop the couple bucks for an ink and you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:55 am

fo sho. just try ink and you'll never go back

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:00 pm

tlc247 wrote:For yellow to be bright, it really needs to be painted on top of white. If your model is primed/basecoated in black, you need to pick out the yellow parts in white, or be happy with a dull-looking yellow.

Isn't that basically what i said? lol

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:45 pm

What I was saying was on a miniature primed black, your best, brightest yellow involves painting white first, then the yellow on top of it.

Your post sounded like you alternate between yellow and white. White is a great color for highlighting yellow, but that's not what I was trying to say. I was just trying to recommend you re-basecoat in white. As Alex's "Nazdreg" miniature will show, this isn't necessary if you are looking for a dull or dirty yellow.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:08 pm

ture that, yellow can be tricky and tempermental.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum