Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chessex Dice...WTF??

4 posters

Go down

Chessex Dice...WTF?? Empty Chessex Dice...WTF??

Post  Zac Nelsen Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:09 pm

For the longest time, i tried to stay unsuperstisious (spellcheck that) about my dice, and rolls. a lot of people complained they had uncommonly bad luck making saves, or wounding, or shooting. Being currently enrolled in an AP psychology class at the time, i speculated to myself that it is just selective memory. They only remembered the particularly bad rolls because it had an impact on them, and simply had all the memories of average rolls melded together. I TRIED to stay very logical about bad rolls, saplyying it was selective memory. at a certain point, i need to know for myself.

So with all the talk about how balanced our bricks of chessex (chessix?) dice are, i decided to finally put some math and statistics to use and do some studies. Physics say that a perfectly even 6 sided cube will have a completely random and even chance for this side. Statistics show that a perfect D6 rolled over and over and over (and over and over and over [and over and over {and over} and over and over] and over and over and over) and over and over will have each side rolled the exact same amount of times.

Test 1, the obvious roll over and over method.
On a flat, smooth surface (my kitchen table) i rolled the entire brick 20 times. giving a total of 720 individual dice rolls. here is what showed.

1----123 times (17.08333%)
2----127 times (17.63888%)
3----122 times (16.94444%)
4----115 times (15.97222%)
5----110 times (15.27777%)
6----124 times (17.22222%)

Now the 1 to 2 percentage doesnt look like much, however, in a situation like this, it makes a large difference. so 1 2 3 and 6 showed up far more. what i HEARD is that chessex rolls the lower numbers more often (1, 2, and 3) and this obviously shows but a wierd thing happened. 6 showed up a lot also. i have a possible explanation for this. in my dice set i have found a few D6's that have lighter colored, smaller looking dots. these seem to tend to roll 6's i have noticed, so i try to avoid them. this could explain the high amount of 6's, having these roll 6's most of the time. I felt that this isnt conclusive enough evidence. my problem with this test is that i feel if a D6 is weighted for a certain number to show up, that it simply doesnt have enough velocity by itself to overcome gravity to come up with that certain number all the time. also, being a cube, it doesnt so much ROLL as it does bounce a couple times before landing. what i needed was a way for it to go slower and have much more time before it has to land. after looking on the internet i found on gewglll (google) that someone tested heir dice by dropping them in water. very smart idea. i liked it and tryed it myself.

Test 2-water drop
i dropped the brick ONE BY ONE into a full sink of water with a flat bottom from about 7ish inches high in the air (as i read if you simply let go of them in the water they tend to fall the way you dropped them, which i found to be true) 5 times, for a total of 180 individual drops, and recorded what the resultes were.

1----41 (22.77777%)
2----48 (26.66666%)
3----25 (13.88888%)
4----23 (12.77777%)
5----23 (12.77777%)
6----22 (12.22222%)

WTF, no wonder i cant make amour saves? no wonder anyone cant? this seems a lot more conclusive to me. remember those light colored D6s i talked about? they tended to land on 5's, if you watch them sink, they would teeter between 5's and 6's the whole way. im rolling them over and over right now. about 2/3 rolls, will land on a 5 or a 6 -.- needless to say ima go smash these with a hammer outside to make an example to my other dice, if i dont decide to sell this brick to someone else.

To me, this is enough evidence to try to buy another bucket/bag/brick of dice, of another brand. honestly i dont need 36 dice, 15 should be sufficient as that is largely the most i use at once. i would also like to test the reliablility of my deviation/crystal leadership dice and will probably do taht tonight. if anyone else would want to test their dice i would LOVE to see the results posted below.

one last thing. THIS IS COMPLETELY SUBJECTIVE TO MY PERSONAL BRICK OF DICE!!!!!! i dont want everyone throwing theirs away because of MY tests. if you are curious i suggest that you run tests of your own (and promptly post results here) just because mine SEEM TO SHOW STATISTICALLY that they roll lower, does not mean your's automatically do!!!! i might have got a bad batch! or maybe there isnt even anything wrong! my results could mean NOTHING IN REALITY but a load of bad luck (possible but not likely)
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Chessex Dice...WTF?? Empty Re: Chessex Dice...WTF??

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

HOLY SHIZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHESSEX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:01 pm

I think what we really learn here is that when rolling for psychic tests do so in water with Zac's Dice!!!

I see no where in the rulebook that says you must roll your dice on the table, do a huge psychic army and take it to a tourny zac!!
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:32 pm

Haha I could squeez about 4 psykers on a 1500 point I think. Id pass every test but I can't do shizz after that
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:04 pm

haha chris- not a bad idea, it'd take that tourney for sure.
you'd think perils would be a problem with double ones, but zack always makes his saves, so no worries there.

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:59 pm

you have a lot of time on your hands zac.....
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:20 pm

Lil Finnigan wrote:haha chris- not a bad idea, it'd take that tourney for sure.
you'd think perils would be a problem with double ones, but *Fatty* always makes his saves, so no worries there.

Fixed it for you. ^.^
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:19 pm

ha ha yeah

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:07 pm

Zac you should statisize Fatty's dice too, I bet he roll's 5's and 6's 66% of the time
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum