Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh?

5 posters

Go down

I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh? Empty I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:31 am

the same ol forecast for terrain: foresty with a chance of a few blow'd up buildings.

we need new terrain. marsh and i were thinkin some snow terrain would be awesome, with snow drfits, crystals, frozen lakes (yes you IGs, that means your chimeras will have water) snowy trees, and frosty buildings! its be awesome!!!!

so we want everyone to get in on this: any ideas?

Back to top Go down

I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh? Empty Re: I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh?

Post  Guest Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:52 am

necron deserty terrain.
sandy hills, obelisks and pyramids.

Tau clean terrain!!
Eldar ancient terrain..

Oh and of course.. Chaos Grisly Altars and Portals.

Back to top Go down

I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh? Empty Re: I'm sick of it!!! and you is too huh?

Post  tlc247 Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:19 pm

needs moar graveyards
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:37 pm

Seriously, though, I'd love to see more water terrain. I'd think that should be our first priority, since it also seems like the most common type. We might also consider some bunkers or actual buildings (not just ruins). I'm sure some other options would be welcome, as well.

One of the things that sets the tone for the map is the color of the table we're playing on. I don't know if we want to look at some other options there, or not. We currently have Blue, Green, and Brown. A dark grey one for more of a city or moonscape feel might be kewl. I don't think we could justify more than a single tabletop, though. It's not often that we end up using all of the tables we have (or even have room to use them all).
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:47 pm

i dont think we'd need more than one more table anyway, and gray seems like the best choice- it would match the city terrain pretty well.

to do snow we could make styrofoam drifts and hills, frozen lakes etc. as for the table color, we could get a wide sheet of white felt and throw it over the table. or even an old bed sheet. paul has blank tables, without felt. we could even paint one of them white and use the spray on snow stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:35 pm

We would want to finish the styrofoam with something, or it would just look like styrofoam instead of snow. It would be the difference between some really nice looking winter terrain and some ghetto terrain we scrounged up from around the house. Smile
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:11 pm

yeah i read on games workshop FOREVER ago if you brush on Elmer's glue the paint wont eat up the Styrofoam and destroy the effect. just a thought

Back to top Go down

Post  alex clements Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm

hey why dont we take some saturday and everyone brings supplies and everyone helps to make stuff like full buildings. i would like the idea of a snowy area that would be wicked. i probably cant do it this saturday but i can maybe do it next saturday the 4th. Im game to do anything with that. yeah im sick of the ruins and same old building and i havent even been playing all that much.
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54 am

i asked paul today- he said no to using his blank table right now cause someone would mess it up or ruin it or something? i didn't really understand-
anyways, lets proceed with terrain and snow, and in the mean time just throw a sheet over the table. that'll work.

Back to top Go down

Post  alex clements Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:01 pm

yeah the regular snow would be easy as pie. not we could take some of the wood chips under the back table and paint them completely white or something. but i somewhat see where he is coming from with the ruin the table with something. like super glue or cut it or something in that nature. but if we need we all could combine some money and go to like some toy store and buy buildings and then paint them. just some ideas that im throwing out there.
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:21 pm

For snow, it's actually more difficult than it sounds. If you do it wrong, or just try to shortcut it, you can end up with stuff that makes the Go Juice tower look like a piece from 'eavy Metal Masterclass.

Snow is definitely easy and extremely doable, but I'd come up with a definite plan first and not just try to "wing it". For example, just cutting white styrofoam into hills and claiming they are snow covered doesn't make it look like snow covered hills. It makes it look like cut up chunks of styrofoam.

If you used some glue and even sand, you could get some texture, and then paint it a very light grey or very light blue, and do a heavy white drybrush. This would give some nice texture and shading. The danger is the same as it is with anything you try to paint white with shading... it can end up looking more like blue or grey with highlights than white with shading.

The other key to some winter terrain is to make snow-covered [fill in the blank] and not just white hills or the like. We could do some more rocks like we did at the last terrain day, but once they are done, put some kind of filler on top and paint it white to make it look like it's actually been snowed on.

I'm sure GW has some good advice on creating winter terrain, but I'm not interested in paying $25 to get their advice. Maybe I should search the website for articles about it.

A frozen pond or something similar would be a really sweet piece to add to the set. We'd have to state whether it counts as clear, difficult, or dangerous terrain for each fight, and also which models count it as what. Skimmers would be unaffected, it could be difficult or dangerous for infantry, and even if it's considered "frozen solid", I'd still want to count it as dangerous for vehicles. Might be solid for infantry, but the weight of a tank may cause the ice to crack and the tank to sink in. Not wanting to make it too complicated, but I'd probably call a tank wrecked if it fell through the ice, not just immobilized.

Anyway... I'm getting ahead of myself making up rules for terrain we don't have yet. Smile
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:39 pm

i don't know about anyone else but i would be willing to throw down some cash towards buying one of the fortress sets from paul.
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:13 am

i would so be down

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:29 am

how much is it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr Crotch Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:49 am

i wanna say 90
Dr Crotch
Dr Crotch

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:06 pm

I'll pitch in, or we could hold a game day/ tourny or something to raise money for it. If it stays in house paul would probably give us a small discount, enough that he makes money still but we don't pay to much.
Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Zac Nelsen Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:48 pm

I really like the necron desert thing with obelisks, pyramids, and the such. So much in fact I almost tried my hand at it. Almost. I couldn't find a good material to make the pyramid out of. I was thinking cardboard with some better structure in the middle but the problem would be the exposed sides that shows inside the cardboard. I can't really think of a good material to use. I cam across the same problem with the obelisk. Sand drifts would seem simple enough. Just styrofoam shaped to a drift covered in very fine sand stuck on, but I'm hesitant to try cause it might just end up looking like crap. We really need to set up a day to make new terrain like this if we want more.
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Post  alex clements Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:02 pm

yeah we could buy the fortress set or do a tourny or something in that nature. now i am more then likely not going to be able to come this saturday because its fall and come fall its hunting season and the dove hunt will be going on. and i wouldnt mind putting down some cash for new terrain or the fortress set or anything like that. but i think we need to do something because im sick of grass or mountain summer time terrain. yeah we really need to set a date. im game almost any saturday and maybe sometime during the week.
alex clements
alex clements

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:13 pm

Zac Nelsen wrote:I really like the necron desert thing with obelisks, pyramids, and the such. So much in fact I almost tried my hand at it. Almost. I couldn't find a good material to make the pyramid out of. I was thinking cardboard with some better structure in the middle but the problem would be the exposed sides that shows inside the cardboard. I can't really think of a good material to use. I cam across the same problem with the obelisk. Sand drifts would seem simple enough. Just styrofoam shaped to a drift covered in very fine sand stuck on, but I'm hesitant to try cause it might just end up looking like crap. We really need to set up a day to make new terrain like this if we want more.

Me too I like it a lot. I was thinking we make a cliff to look like a large sand dune and carve a out the form of a pyramid in the side so it looks like ancient ruins being excavated.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:13 am

we need to make a run to hobby lobby and have a look. i have those foam baords left over from my storm raven. i could build a tomb if you guys wanna focus on the dunes and crystals

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:34 pm

They had some terrain on GW's website today, and one of the things that caught my eye was the Tyranid stuff. A planet that was infested by tyranids. It's an idea for another set of terrain pieces we could easily add to and mix with our current set.

If you take a look at the GW website, and click on the picture they have, it pulls up some of his other pieces. I recognize some of what he's used, either from stuff I've seen in people's homes, at craft stores, or just laying on the lawn at the end of summer. Worth taking a look at the site if you have any interest in adding some "infected" pieces to the store's inventory (or your own).
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum