Phoenix Gamers 40k
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone else think this is weird?

+2
tlc247
Zac Nelsen
6 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Anyone else think this is weird? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else think this is weird?

Post  Zac Nelsen Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:31 pm

Although kharn is amazing, I might have to put in my vote that khorn lord with daemon weapon is better squad killer. 2d6+4 base, holy shizz. Although he could get himself killed with a 1. At least he is rivaling kharn for the spot
Zac Nelsen
Zac Nelsen

Back to top Go down

Anyone else think this is weird? - Page 2 Empty Re: Anyone else think this is weird?

Post  Guest Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:38 pm

i was just going with named heroes here people!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:19 am

and i think joe was just asking a question when this started.

marshall is right though.

named tyranid character that is hands down one of the scariest out there: the sward lord. KILL YOU ALL DAY LONG!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 am

thats all he does. all day.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

seriously. and you be like, "dude, can we take break? im getting tired of doing this everyday..."
and he'd be like " HISSSS SHRIEKKKK!"
but because he's so scary, you wait til he's out of synapse to call him a douche.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:43 am

Lil Finnigan wrote:and i think joe was just asking a question when this started.

Yeah when I started this I just was talking about custom heroes. For me it would be Lady Gaga or if I actually played Hector. I was asking why people don't seem to like spend the points on a custom HQ to fit a way of playing that fits them. Like making a Chaplain or something like that but giving him wargear.

But I like the discussion this has turned into so continue!

Back to top Go down

Post  Lil Red Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:08 pm

You know I can see why people don't use custom characters, Especially with the armies that I play. With IG I am able to field a lot of guns on the table, for 100 points I can deck out a Vet squad with Melta guns, and for 130 points I can bring a Vendetta with 3 TL lascannons. (in a standard Organization Chart I could field 9 Vendettas, and 9 Lemans as well). For me I don't like to put a whole lot of points into something that won't return it's investment like my vendettas and vets.

The Swarmlord as said before is a beast! He can use 2 psychic abilities a turn, and has an ability to give ONE squad a couple of different abilities. He is also 280ish points and you need at least one Tyrant guard to protect him because he is an MC that can't join squads and has no INV save against shooting attacks. So now he is at least 340 points. For that many points I can bring a Hive Tyrant with a 2+ save (instead of 3+) Regen, a S6 6 shot gun, and an ability to give EVERY unit with in 6" Preferred enemy.

However the two armies that I play require numbers to win games. I think you would be insane to not bring a good character in a SM army. The bonuses that they provide is insane, You are also playing a small number of models thats strength is in power house squads, and what's more power house than Logan Grimnar or Santiago?

Lil Red
Lil Red

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Chris is right on the money- swarm armies especially benefit from lots of cheap units. More wounds to spread around, and lots of attacks. You don't have to rely on lucky rolls to save your guys: if you already plan on them dying, you can plan accordingly, and your battle plan changes less with the luck. as far as HQ's go, chris is right again, get cheap buffers and concentrate on buffing your whole army, not just a squad or two.

SM's, Eldar, Chaos and even some Tau benefit from an HQ that can not only survive, but make his very high point cost back.

Im in the process fo finding a cheap hq that could still make a difference in my army. there are some options, but really, my HQ's are way expensive, so it's been a challenge.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:36 pm

I hear Captains are good Scott!! Take those :] maybe even Tycho???

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:42 pm

oooo! maybe death company tycho! yeah.... maybe he'll survive past turn one! and maybe fatty will fail a save!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:45 pm

And maybe wolves won't have bolters and pistols CC and counter charge!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:28 pm

maybe...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:44 pm

Perhaps. I do really enjoy custom my heroes but again, my team (space wolves) does heroes. Its in their job discretion! Although Farseers and Autarchs can make really good custom heroes for Eldars.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:32 pm

Im going to say the most well rounded, best hq would be Logan Grimnar. he has alot of things that others have but his eternal warrior and his buffing powers are what take the cake. good hq killer, squad killer, monster killer, and team player/buffer.

he does it all really.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:35 pm

the only down side is his whooping 270 points and the fact that he's in terminator armor. So he can only ride in my LR or a drop pod. (can't teleport, I'm space wolves!) then i'm really only running him with other terminators...
the upside. him and arjac make a killer team :] he automatically gets preferred enemy against IC's but then he can get it if there is none with logan. pretty handy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:37 pm

yeah but he can join units, and start in a dedicated. thats big. 270 is alot, but its almost gauranteed he's getting in combat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:41 pm

not if its a rhino or razorback. Terminator armor doesn't fit. but he is good. the fact that he can strike with either a frost blade or power fist, and that he can split his attacks is great. But over all i'd say i like his ability to choose between preferred enemy, tank hunters, fearless and relentless, also his ability to confer +1 A to everyone within 18" helps a lot. Although he can only do it once... Unlike Sanguinar. I've noticed that Blood Angels have an alarming number of HQ's that aren't IC's..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:45 pm

exactly, that are super expensive and squishy.
fools gold I call them. still, maybe because of this, i want to find some way to justify running them.
everyone of them has something seriously hindering the model from being great.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:45 pm

Sanguinor's chief flaws:

Toughness 4 (seriously... W! T! F!?!?!?!?!)
Strength is 5(?). Better than nothing, but still weak for his fluff and points
NOT an Independent Character (which makes TOTAL sense if you ignore his fluff and the rest of his rules)
3 Wounds (should be 4, imo)

He's got some really amazing stuff, but honestly... these four things keep him from being worth the 275 points you have to pay for him. I'm still trying to figure out why they gave him a BS. Bragging rights? Spitting contests? It's not like he has a ranged weapon. (same with Lysander)
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:04 am

tycho's flaws:

being a lame a-- metrosexual that costs FAR too much.

Back to top Go down

Post  tlc247 Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:50 am

If you want to try and make Tycho worth his points, I recommend running him as a Captain, not as Death Company, and then put him in a Sternguard squad with a Sanguinary Priest. After that, it's a matter of running the squad correctly, but I think that's the starting point for making him effective.

On the bright side, he's only 175 points. Considering his stats and gear, that seems like a reasonable cost if played effectively.
tlc247
tlc247

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:40 am

thats the plan- put him with sternguard, and add some CC meat to the squad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:45 am

brutal!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr.Rubberbullets Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:07 pm

All of you talk about heroes makes me want to cry =*(. My necrons have nothing worth even mentioning. especially compared to whats out their now as far as other characters and the amount of high strength weaponry that people can squeeze into their lists.
Mr.Rubberbullets
Mr.Rubberbullets

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:11 pm

shrike is sweet and the way you play him is balla!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum